Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Be willing to be fixed, it's the only way.

Alright... Bad, bad blogger, me. If it counts, I was actually writing my latest fic, it's in Bahasa Indonesia, the title is Beautiful Lie [to Believe in] (yes, it's taken from 30 Seconds to Mars' song because I'm just crazy about this band). It's posted to my facebook notes. But then it's in Indonesian, I don't suppose everyone can read it (unless you know Indonesian).

I seriously had to write it down, simply because the idea had been bugging the crap out of me for weeks. Starting from a silly convo between me and my two friends (which contains, mostly, about a teacher-student relationship), the idea popped up. In my mind it became even more specific, and a hell lot more intense in the matter of conflicts and problems. There are a lot of sensitive issues that I wanted to put in into this story, such as, aside from homoeroticism itself, incest, rape, bullying, family dispute and even a slice of psychological disorder. It's going to be one heck of a story to write, and hopefully it won't get stuck in the middle of the way. Let's cross our fingers for that.

Gracie (a_happy_twat) also asked me if I would do an English version of this fic (basically because she wants to read the UruhaxRuki part... hahaha~). Maybe I will. Well it's one of the heaviest ideas I have ever come up with, so far, so I guess it will be only fair to let everyone else read it too. I wish I had more hours in a day, though, so I could write everything I was thinking of, which is a lot.

With Beautiful Lie, I suppose I have too many to work on right now. I'm listing my unfinished fanfics here and the progress they are going through up until this very moment:
  • House of Horrors chapter 04 = 05%
  • 5sentence_fics the third batch (prompts 11-15) = 20%
  • Love Song chapter 02 = 08%
  • Beautiful Lie [to Believe in] chapter 02 = 10%
The worst part is, I haven't determined how far those multichapter fics will go. I think that maybe Love Song won't go further than 10 chapters, but I have a tendency to exceed my own expectation *bitter laugh*.

I guess, all that I can do for now is work as hard as my brain allows me to (I wish I was making money out of this). And also pray that I will be given the time to write, that's truly the most important thing of all.



By the way, I can't help noticing that, lately, there have been many Indonesian fanfic authors popping up on the communities. I have to say that I feel very happy. It's nice to know my fellow Indonesians have decided to join the fun. What bothers me is the errors they make. I am not saying that I'm perfect, no, I'm far from that. I make lots of mistakes and I still can't tell which is right and which is wrong in the matter of grammars and structures and tenses. But I've done efforts to fix my mistakes, in the form of finding a beta. I did have a beta, back then (she's been around during Hanabi and Yomenai Kotoba). I have learned a lot from her, and I dare say I have improved from the very first time I wrote in English. And yes, xenocia helped me out too in fixing At the Beginning of an End (and that was probably the most helpful beta job I've ever faced).

That is truthfully the most important thing about having a beta: so that you could LEARN. You need to learn what you did wrong in order to become better in the future. It's what being a human being is all about, isn't it? Life is all about learning. You can't be stuck in one point while the rest of the world is moving ahead of you. If you insist to, then everyone will just leave you behind. The same goes with writing; I SUCKED when I first started. But I wanted to get better, thus I've learned along the way.

I'm just begging you, fellow authors, to consider getting a beta (a COMPETENT one, I might add!) to work the elements of your story. If not for yourself, then for the people you expect to read your story. You might have the most brilliant idea in the universe but if you present it in the wrong way, your idea will just go to waste. And that's a big shame, isn't it?


Speaking of which, I am currently considering getting a new beta, not just anyone, but someone who is patient enough to deal with my schedule and my stubbornness. Someone who can actually TEACH me and tell me what I've done wrong. That'll be nice. Yeah.

I think I should put up an add.

No comments:

Post a Comment